AW13 Menswear Roundup.

With the Burberry Prorsum show out the way, this past week I have turned my attention to some other collections and have definitely seen a few must-haves. My personal style is more classic than avant-garde so my main focus has been long established brands.


Tommy Ton was at hand, capturing the best Street Style at the shows.


In Milan, Gucci set the tone for tailoring with a mix of herringbones and houndstooths in bold, monochrome colours. As the 'skinny fit' is still the key look in tailoring, Frida Giannini (Gucci's Creative Director) cut suits to sit only slightly loose of the models' skin. As outerwear is perhaps the most vital garment in an Autumn/Winter collection, Gucci didn't disappoint with a range of overcoats in an array of colours. My favourite has to be the houndstooth piece with black shearling collar. The show ended with the usual parade of evening suits and as ink blue was a key colour in the collection, one suit used this colour and the result was amazing.






Another show that exceeded my expectations in Milan was Salvatore Ferragamo. Those who know me know that I am a sucker for a cable knit. Just as I thought I was running out of options, Ferragamo send a leather option down the runway - must. have. Another piece which I instantly eyed up was a black bomber jacket with a deep fur collar. Carrying on the ink blue theme, the final look at the show was an overcoat over black leather trousers. Whoever said black and navy shouldn't be worn together needs to see this show!






The last collection in Milan that impressed me was Fendi. Admittedly, the first looks were not my cup of tea, however as some taupe coloured outfits made their way down the runway, my feelings instantly changed. Another cable knit, this time asymetric, was put beautifully with fur boots and suit pants - perfect for a Winter smart casual look. Then an overcoat with fur trim also caught my eye as it lay across the shoulders of a fine knit. Another look which I need is a darker taupe, marl effect jumper which was paired with some printed formal trousers - another item I will be chanelling come Autumn.






Moving to Paris, the Valentino show absolutely blew me away. Going back to the ink blue trend, Valentino played with textures by mixing leather and wool to create very interesting pieces of outerwear. Document cases was the accessory du jour, complimenting the colours and tones of the individual outfits. Instead of houndstooth, a more simple plaid was used on some pieces of tailoring and outerwear bringing some light to an altogether dark and serious collection - perfect for those dark Winter nights.






To summarise, I thought I'd give an indication of trends to buy into when the time comes. First up is ink blue. From suits at Gucci to outerwear at Ferragamo, this is a trend that will definitely trickle its way down into the high street so make sure you get a few pieces in it. Next, like seasons before, is the skinny suit which should also appear in many men's wardrobes. This time, maybe buy a double-breasted suit in an interesting fabric. Another trend that I've noticed in many collections is texture. Be it rubber, leather or fur, invest in interesting textures to make sure your Autumn/Winter 2013 wardrobe is right on trend.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment